Browse image gallery
58x64 premium audio interface for Pro Tools | HD™ and Thunderbolt™ 2 workflows, featuring four Red Evolution mic pres and 32x32 Dante™ audio-over-IP connectivity
Red 4Pre includes four of Focusrite's digitally-controlled, 'Air' enabled, Red Evolution mic preamps. Thunderbolt™ 2 connectivity and dual mini-DigiLink ports bring you the best of both Core Audio and Pro Tools | HD™ workflows, with easy switching between Pro Tools | HD and any Thunderbolt-connected DAW. Featuring 'parallel path summing' conversion and beautiful yet robust design, the Red 4Pre interface is the perfect balance of form and function, delivering the sound quality and versatility engineers and producers expect from Focusrite.
Focusrite's 58-in/64-out Red 4Pre includes Thunderbolt 2 connectivity for our lowest round-trip latency, in whatever DAW you use, enabling you to track and overdub with your preferred plug-ins and effects in real time, simplifying your workflow. Drop the Red 4Pre immediately, directly and seamlessly into any Pro Tools | HD system, or use it with existing Avid® interfaces, thanks to its twin DigiLink™ connectors. Dual Thunderbolt 2 ports allow daisy-chaining of additional components such as hard drives and displays. Plus the Red 4Pre is network audio enabled right out of the box, with dual Ethernet ports for Dante audio-over-IP networking, letting you expand your recording capability over Ethernet for up to 64 additional channels anywhere on your network, with low latency – and lower cost. Additional Red or other Dante-compatible components can be connected to the Ethernet ports of the Red 4Pre to provide additional channels irrespective of the interface used to drive the Red 4Pre.
Simple switching between DAWs
Switch between Pro Tools | HD and any DAW connected to the Thunderbolt interface using the Host Mode setting in the included RedNet Control software. For example, you can switch quickly and easily between Pro Tools | HD and Ableton, Logic or Pro Tools software - just keep both connected at all times and make the switch whenever you need.
Our lowest round-trip latency
Low latency is a specific Focusrite design goal. Red 4Pre's latency is so low that you can track with your preferred plug-ins and record virtual instruments in real time. This low latency environment simplifies your workflow, allowing you to run a single mix on your DAW for both overdubbing and mixing, with your plug-ins in place, all the time.
Red Evolution Air-enabled microphone preamplifiers
The Red Evolution mic pres in the Red 4Pre deliver a clear and honest audio performance with –129 dB EIN and 63dB of gain that allows plenty of room to bring your own sound to life with your choice of external processing. The mic pres can be controlled digitally, for adjusting/recalling settings and stereo linking via RedNet Control software. They also include our unique 'Air' effect, recreating the sound of the transformer-based mic preamps in the ISA range. When 'Air' is enabled, the microphone impedance is set to 2.1kΩ and the frequency response curve is given a subtle mid-high boost – all in the analogue domain.
Our best converter performance
We've been building mastering-quality digital audio converters for decades, and the converters you'll encounter in the Red 4Pre are the best we've ever made, employing a 'parallel path summing' configuration to lower the noise floor. We've selected high-performance, precision conversion chips and maximised sound quality through premium component selection, advanced design and optimised board layout. Red 4Pre's converter design strikes a precise balance between multiple factors – including dynamic range, distortion, noise floor and conversion latency – for the optimal overall sound. With 24-bit/192kHz sampling capability and 118dB(A-D)/121dB (D-A) dynamic range, it is ideal for high-resolution audio. The Red 4Pre delivers ≤0.0009% THD+Noise and a frequency response flat from 20Hz to 35kHz ±0.25 dB or better - and when we quote a specification, you can rest assured it's what the Red 4Pre will actually give you on a real session, not a purely theoretical figure pulled from the converter chip's data sheet.
Expansion done right
Connect up to 64 additional channels to the Red 4Pre via Ethernet-based Dante networking - a simple, single connection carrying both audio and built-in clocking. Whether the Red 4Pre is connected to the computer via Thunderbolt, DigiLink or Dante, simply connect units such as two RedNet A16R (32 channels of analogue I/O), four RedNet MP8R (32 channels of RedNet mic pre), or other Dante-enabled products via Ethernet as desired. Place mic preamps where the music is, and outputs where the sound needs to go – wherever there's an Ethernet connection. Unlike daisy-chaining via Thunderbolt, Dante lets you run additional channels over a greater distance, with low latency and lower cost, without wasting money on technology or connectivity that will not be used. And it will only get easier: look out for future enhancements offering complete plug and play Ethernet expansion functionality.
Improve your sound with studio-quality vocals, powerful guitars, dramatic synths and huge drums, then mix and master with iconic Focusrite studio hardware — all in the box. Every new Red interface comes with an unbeatable range of tried-and-tested studio tools from some of the biggest names in the business.
Hitmaker Expansion — available with every newly registered Red interface — is built to get you mixing and mastering release-ready music immediately. These are all the plug-ins you need to take your studio-quality tracks to the next level and achieve professional results.
Enjoy 3 years of warranty
- Connector TypeDB25 Female connector balanced
- Phantom Power 48V Phantom Power, Switchable per mic input
- Frequency Response 20 Hz - 35 kHz /-0.2 dB
- Signal To Noise Ratio 118 dB (A-weighted)
- Dynamic Range 118 dB (A-weighted)
- THD N 0.0009
- Noise EIN –129 dBu (A-Weighted)
- Maximum Input Level 19 dBu
- Gain Range 0-63dB (1dB increments from 8dB)
- Common Mode Rejection Ratio >70dB at 997 Hz Min Gain
- Input Impedance With AIR Mode OFF 6kO
- Input Impedance With AIR Mode ON 2kO
Line inputs 1-4
- 1-4 Lines Signal To Noise Ratio118 dB (A-weighted)
- 1-4 Lines Dynamic Range 118 dB (A-weighted)
- 1-4 Lines THD N 0.0009
- 1-4 Lines Frequency Response 20 Hz - 35 kHz /-0.2 dB
- 1-4 Lines Connector Type DB25 Female connector balanced
- 1-4 Lines Maximum Input Level 27dBu
- 1-4 Lines Gain Range 0-63dB (1dB increments from 8dB)
- 1-4 Lines Common Mode Rejection Ratio >70dB at 997 Hz Min Gain
- 1-4 Lines Input Impedance With AIR Mode OFF 10kO
- 1-4 Lines Input Impedance With AIR Mode ON 10kO
Line inputs 5-8
- 5-8 Lines Connector TypeDB25 Female connector balanced
- 5-8 Lines Frequency Response 20 Hz - 35 kHz /-0.2 dB
- 5-8 Lines Signal To Noise Ratio 118 dB (A-weighted)
- 5-8 Lines Dynamic Range 118 dB (A-weighted)
- 5-8 Lines THD N 0.0007
- 5-8 Lines Maximum Input Level 26dBu
- 5-8 Lines Common Mode Rejection Ratio >70dB at 997 Hz Min Gain
- 5-8 Lines Input Impedance With AIR Mode OFF 20kO
- 5-8 Lines Input Impedance With AIR Mode ON 20kO
- Instrument Connector Type1/4" Female TS Unbalanced
- Instrument Frequency Response 20 Hz - 35 kHz /-0.2 dB
- Instrument Signal To Noise Ratio 117dB (A-Weighted)
- Instrument Dynamic Range 117dB (A-Weighted)
- Instrument THD N 0.0015
- Instrument Maximum Input Level 15dBu
- Instrument Gain Range 0-63dB (1dB increments from 8dB)
- Instrument Input Impedance With AIR Mode OFF Nominal input impedance = 2M3
- Instrument Input Impedance With AIR Mode ON Nominal input impedance = 2M3